Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Two Holiday Pillows and a quilt show opening Posted by Virginia "Ginnie" Leiner on November 8, 2015 at 11:29pm View Blog Hello all: I have been keeping myself busy with little projects in this time before the quilt show opens. Here are my two newest creations: The Thanksgiving pillow is a Moda print and the needlepoint in the center of the Santa pillow is a repurposed Christmas stocking that I found at a local thrift store. I delivered 22 holiday quilts to the McCarl Gallery on Wednesday this week. My house seems unusually quiet and empty without them. They all had new sleeves sewn on them and their text panels and such were all written. I had to do an artist statement and a bio, both really weird things to write. The show opens on Thursday this week and I am feeling very numb about it. I still can't quite believe a gallery would want to show my work. I am thrilled, petrified and confused. Right, just about normal, I would say! Daughter Becky arrives Thursday for the weekend to see the show and is bringing our newest granddaughter, Sylvia who is now 6 months old. Becky, as you will remember, is my cross stitching, tee shirt quilt making, co-conspiring quilt project kid. We will have three fun days of museums, shopping, eating, more shopping. Several fabric stores will be visited. Can't wait. Plus I get to spoil that beautiful baby! Off to bed now. I will post more after the show opens. Yikes! Here is my bio: Born and raised in East Moline, Illinois, Ginnie Allmendinger Leiner moved to Southwestern Pennsylvania in 2000 to marry her husband and live happily ever after. She is the mother of two wonderful daughters and the grandmother of three over the top grandchildren. She and her husband, George Leiner live in Greensburg, Pennsylvania in a rambling old house, complete with sitting porches, rocking chairs, and a cat named Vinnie. Simply stated, her quilt philosophy is that there are no rules in quilting and no limits except those imposed by your imagination. She believes a little black in every quilt is appropriate as quilting, like life, needs the dark to help us appreciate the light. Ginnie also believes that documenting your quilt is an important final step, as quilts represent women’s untold history. Ginnie was sewing clothes long before she ever considered making quilts. Her first quilt was made at age 18 as a child bride, out of scraps from clothing she had made. Although her great grandmother and grandmother were quilters, Ginnie is basically self-taught. Her quilting heros are Jinny Beyer and Liza Prior Lucy To date she has made 143 quilts with countless ones planned for the future. Her major quilt accomplishment was a series (2013 – The Year of the Christmas Quilt) of fifteen (15) Christmas quilts made for her family members in 2013. She feels her personal best is her daughter Jamie’s wedding quilt, Road to California, made in 2012 and her current quilting goal is to imagine and executed more quilts outside the box of traditional quilting, as shown in her most recently finished quilt, Topography of a Marriage. Most of her quilts are given away to the people in her life she values. Professionally, Ginnie is the Membership and Development Coordinator of the Westmoreland Museum of American Art. She holds a BA in History from Saint Vincent College and while she loves her museum life, she is counting the years until retirement, when she will be able to quilt full time and travel at whim. Ginnie © 2022 Created by American Quilter's Society. Powered by Website builder | Create website | Ning.com Badges | Report an Issue | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service

No comments:

Post a Comment