Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

New Technology and winning the quilt lottery Posted by Virginia "Ginnie" Leiner on February 18, 2016 at 10:30pm View Blog Hello Campers! Back at it again after a short hiatus. Life set me back abit between my father's passing and all the family visits this winter. I visited daughter Becky and granddaughter Sylvia in early February and daughter Jamie and grandson Wyatt were out here in Pennsylvania this week. Good times all around but I am glad to be back to spending time in my quilt studio. Quite unscheduled, I am making a quilt for someone I do not know. Here is the story. Never wanting to become a dinosaur in the real world, I am often convinced to try new technology. This fall, October specifically, I joined i-phone nation and broke down and bought a new cell phone. I did it because face timing with the kids and the grandkids was so much fun. I was learning how to use my phone on the busiest day of my museum career, the Grand Re-opening of The Westmoreland where I am employed, October 24, 2015. The museum had been temporarily relocated for two years while a new wing was added and the original portion of the building was renovated. We were throwing a gigantic party that night and I was running all over getting things done. My high school girlfriend, Margie Trousil, texted me on this very busy day and asked if I would make a baby quilt for one of her college students (she teaches nursing in Fort Madison, Iowa). Not sure how to respond as I really wasn't making quilts outside of my lists, I put the phone away for awhile and got on with the day. When I looked at it again, I had somehow given her the "thumbs up" symbol and she was thrilled, absolutely thrilled that I had agreed to do the quilt. What? I agreed? So anyway, she had to wait five plus months until the quilt show was going before I even started it. Given the other quilts I am supposed to be working on (Becky and Todd's wedding quilt, Sylvia's baby quilt, Christmas quilts for both of my granddaughters, and 2 wedding quilts for two nieces and nephews), I decided this needed to be the quickest quilt ever and that meant nine patch. I wanted to use batiks so I found 72 different batik fabrics in my stash (I am so embarrassed to have that many!) and threw this little cutie together. I will finish it with a border and off it will go to Iowa, the land of corn and incidentally, where I was born.
I guess you could say these students of Margie won the quilt lottery. So what are you working on? Technologically challenged, I remain, Yours in quilting, Ginnie

No comments:

Post a Comment