Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2022

Gramma Gigi's pumpkin quilt which became a story about Uncle Jack Posted by Virginia "Ginnie" Leiner on September 10, 2017 at 12:30pm View Blog
My family was blended long before that became a fashionable term. My parents divorced in 1958 (I was 3) and my dad, who had custody of my sister Bev and I remarried a wonderful woman in 1959 who became Mom to us and gave us our sister, Denise. Mom was a 26 year old secretary with her own car and the family lore is that Dad married her for that car! Not true I am sure because it was a love match that lasted 56 years, the last 34 of them in a harder circumstance when my Dad lost his eyesight and some brain function due to strokes at 49 years old. Mom was and is a trooper. She hung in there with him, loving him and us all those years. My mom had three brothers, Don, who was a milkman, Bill who was an electrician and sign painter, and Jack who was a carpenter. Jack always had the most beautiful warm and welcoming smile and a great sense of humor. He lived next door to my Gramma (Mom's mom) so we always saw him as well when we visited Gramma and Grampa Taylor. When I made the quilt, I was not thinking of Uncle Jack but when it was time to put the cross stitch of Mr. Jack O'Lantern and the quote on the back, "I never met a pumpkin I didn't like," it came naturally to me to add "and Jack (implied jack-o-lantern) was always my favorite uncle." This sparked many happy childhood memories of my uncle and the family I was NOT born into that made me so welcomed. As a side bonus, Jack's daughter Chris, contacted me on facebook and she had immediately made the connection between her dad, my uncle, and the quilt. Happiness all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment