Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2022

And Entire Year of Quiltmaking Posted by Virginia "Ginnie" Leiner on July 25, 2021 at 6:30pm View Blog Where does time go? When you are in a pandemic, it moves incredibly slow while you are living it and incredibly fast in retrospect. Since I last wrote, I have finished five more quilts and started four others, Today was "appraise the finished quilts day." Jan Rodgers, my talented appraiser, got nine quilts done. We have maybe four more to do but that will have to wait for another day. Who knew dragging quilts out to be appraised, the appraisals, and then putting them all away could be so exhausting? I am bushed so this will be a quick post. Here are the five I have finished since the last blog.This one i am calling "Blackbird (you were only waiting for this moment to arrive)" in homage to Sir Paul. It is a double sided quilt. On the front, the sun in the lower right is paper pieced. The sunflowers and crows are raw edge applique which I found on ebay. The pumpkins are a block I got from Daughter Becky (henceforth known at "Becky's Pumpkin") and it ends with Maple Leaf, one of my favorite blocks. Here is the back.I had alot of blocks left and wanted to use them up. Plus I did not have enough of the yellow sunflower print. I will make a label for it shortly. This quilt was long arm quilted by Karen Frye of Quilting on the Farm.
The second one is called "Knitting Chickens." I found the fabric around New Years, just after I said I would buy no fabric this year (yeah, right!). It called out to be made a quilt! Strip quilting with off centered pieced blocks, turned on point. I particularly love the red and the black balls of yard fussy cut borders.This quilt was also long arm quilted by Karen Frye of Quilting on the Farm. The quilting motif is balls of yarn with knitting needles.
The next three are all gifts I am delivering to family in Illinois in August. First up is a wedding quilt for my niece Angie and her husband Zach. Married in 2012 (I am as always, terribly late), it is called "Central Park, Midwest." The cityscape is a Tula Pink pattern. I added the "park" tree border on the right and the borders all around. Long arm quilter Karen Frye of Quilting on the Farm quilted this one with a varigated peacock feather motif.
The second gifted quilt is a baby quilt for this couple's 6 month old son, Zander. It is called Sheeps and Peeps and I quilted this one myself. It is my first bargello quilt and I loved it. Definitely gonna do another one of those. It is pretty big for a baby quilt but I figure he will grow into it!
The last gifted quilt is perhaps my favorite of these five. Called "Pineapple Cats" because it was my first time making the pineapple block. The fabric for the cat faces is Nancy Wolff's. I just love her!
I ran out of fabric for the back (again!) and had to piece in another Nancy Wolff cat print. I didn't like it as well so I made a very long, left over blocks label and covered most of the less desirable print up. I think it turned out ok.
So I will get these appraisals back (and four others we did) this week, include them with the finished quilts and deliver them to the (hopefully) happy recipients in August. Feeling much relieved to have them done! Quilt on, folks! I am off to take a nap! Ginnie

No comments:

Post a Comment