Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

An exciting new fabric store! LOOM EXQUISITE TEXTILES










A cold, crisp day in February was a perfect day for a trip down to the Strip, the wholesale food district in downtown Pittsburgh. We bought cheese at Penn Mac, coffee beans and loose leaf tea at Presto George, jasmine rice and Chinese rice wine at the Chinese grocery, spicy hot chocolate at Mon Ami, lunch at Enrico Biscotti, and natural peanut butter at the food co-op. My sweetie George and I try to spend a Saturday together once a month in our favorite grocery shopping haunts: the Strip, Whole Foods in East Liberty, the East End Food Co-op in Point Breeze and sometimes Trader Joe's, also in East Liberty. On the way home, we stopped at DeLallo's Italian Market, our favorite place closer to home in Jeannette for fresh fruits and veggies in their new produce market.

My sweetie, George does all the cooking around our house and is the resident foodie. I just like spending time with him and eating all the delicious things he cooks for us! It's easy to be a foodie when those are the benefits!

Well, while in the Strip today, we made another great discovery, a new fabric shop called LOOM EXQUISITE TEXTILES. What a fantastic shop run by a couple of savvy ladies who were so cheerful and gave us a warm welcome on a very cold day! My husband found lots of books to browse while I lost myself in the bolts of beautiful fabrics. I was delighted to see that LOOM carries two of my favorite fabric designers whom I can usually only find on-line: KAFFE FASSAT and MICHAEL MILLER. Not only does the shop carry fabric of all kinds, they also have a great selection of books, fringed tassles and ties, buttons and adornments of all kinds and fun and attractive gift items like the baby boomer eyechart flip book.

LOOM offers fabric cuts by the yard or if you are only building your stash, handy one yard cuts attractively hung in co-ordinating pairs just to get the creative juices flowing. There was a selection of sale cuts and lots of great books on sale half price. I could have stayed in the shop much longer but was afraid for my financial security if I did! I managed to make it out of the store with five one yard cuts of botanicals for a quilt I have been mulling over, a great cut of "girlfriend" Valentine fabric and some cute owls in trees marked "last piece!" Who can resist that?

As sometimes is the case, you think, "Damn! I should have gotten that Hungry Catapillar fabric" or some other great piece after you have gotten in your car and left the shop but the ladies at LOOM made sure I knew how to contact them if I needed something more. I left the shop with their business card and my material stash in great looking packaging which included their digits in case you lose the card. Be sure to check out their website and stop in if you can. You will not be disappointed!

Loom Exquisite Textiles
2124 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412.586.4346
email: info@loomshowroom.com
www.loomshowroom.com

P. S. As a gift, Loom also gave me this blue bendable curvy thing for free! I didn't know what it was and had to ask. It's for cutting curves. Go Figure! Thanks ladies! I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment