Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

Well, I have finally worked out the new direction of Laura and Rob's wedding quilt. If you recall from my last post, I had an epithany during a yoga cool down that resulted in a change of block color arrangement for the quilt and I had to tear apart the 24 blocks I had already sewn. The tearing apart is accomplished and I am well on my way down the new path. Here's the skinny...

When we were in Lancaster a few weekends ago, we toured the Lancaster Quilt and Textile Museum and one of the last exhibits we viewed was a collection of Mennonite Jacob's Ladder quilts. I had never heard of this quilt pattern before and I found it intriguing. Basically, the quilt is made of strips of color in the order of the prism - you remember - red, orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo. Always in this order. I must have tucked that back into my little brain because it is now getting incorporated into this wedding quilt.

Instead of random placement of colors in the block, I have decided to create color block in those six color ranges - red, orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo. As most of my chosen fabrics are "jewel tones," the red will be hot pink instead and there are a great many aqua and teals to work in between green and blue. Here are sample of the six color families in finished blocks.



I am well down the road on this new plan with 6 blocks finished and 27 more enroute. Here you can see the partially finished blocks on my ironing board and the 192 blocks yet to be sewn together. Note the kleenex on the ironing board. Spring brings allergies as well as inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment