Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A quilt for a grandmother that now lives with a granddaughter

Back before my life was lived in beautiful Southwestern Pennsylvania, I lived in East Moline, Illinois. I was married for seventeen years to Mark Allmendinger and he and I share two beautiful daughters, two wonderful sons-in-law, a grandson, and a lifetime of memories. I was very close to his mother, Phyllis and made this quilt for her in 1983. It has always been one of my favorites! For each of the mothers (or mothers-in-law) who received a quilt from me, I requested they make sure the quilt gets passed down to one of my daughters. I had always imagined Becky would get this quilt and when her dad and stepmom, Pam (another quilting friend) visited this spring, sure enough, they brought her Gramma Phyllis's quilt which I had made in 1983. I was able to see it and photograph it when I was at Becky's house in Plano, Texas in March this year for our sewing marathon. Then we all showed up in California, Becky, Gramma Phyllis and I (and so many more) and I learned the reason firsthand why Gramma chose to give it to Becky rather than Jamie. She thought it was a Texas Star pattern so reasoned that the grandchild in Texas should have it. Well, truth be told, it is NOT a Texas star but I am not going to correct her!
Phyllis promises to give the other quilt I made for her to daughter Jamie and I am embarrassed that that particular quilt will land in Jamie's house. It is made out of...wait for it.... polyester double knit! Yuck! but very colorful and maybe they will find use for it for picnics or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment