Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

Kid's quilts for young friends, Josh and Sarah Parker

I made this quilt for my young friend, Joshua Parker who always reminds me of Harry Potter. We were neighbors to the Parkers until they did a 5 year stint in Nuremburg, Germany. Joshua is now heading to college, hard to believe! The quilt measures 63 x 76 inches and is a strip quilt, meaning it is rows of blocks in strips horizontally across the quilt. Starting from the bottom, there is first a row of patch work cats with hand stitched whiskers and button noses. Mouse faces are quilted into the block above the cats' bodies.
The next row above is made up of maple leave blocks with leaves quilted into the open spaces.
On top of the leaves are chickens, of course! With button eyes, and the letters J O S H U A quilted into their bodies.
Above the chickens we have a row of wild goose chase then puppy dog faces with appliqued noses and button eyes.
Another row of wild goose chase going the opposite direction and lastly, golden stars in the azure blue sky.
On the back is a picture of Josh and a dedication. Also I have put a picture of George and I and a passage about bumblebees, doing what no one said they should be able to do!
Joshua's sister is Sarah and here is her quilt.
It has a floral theme. Again, a strip quilt with the same block repeated in a strip horizontally across the quilt. Starting at the bottom is a row of nine-patch blocks. Above it, a row of patchwork hearts on their sides.
Above the hearts is a double row of four patch blocks with pine trees,
then a very cute block called Nancy's Tulip with rick rack stems.
Above the tulips you will find pinwheel flowers
then Roses of Sharon
and finally on top, houses and pine trees. The quilt measures 59 x 71 inches.
On the back is the dedication and pictures of Sarah and George and I. Sarah is now finishing up high school now. Time flies so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment