Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's Spring!!! (almost)


My friend and co-worker, Nan, makes these beautiful felted wool flowers for my Museum Shop at the Westmoreland Museum of American Art (www.wmuseumaa.org) and I wanted to share a little bit of spring with you. God knows we sure need it after the winter we have had.

The current best sellers are the daffodils, which in my mind are the very definition of spring. They sell for $10.00 - what a deal! I immediately bought one and put it on my coat lapel to cheer me up wherever I may be going! The product card reads: "Cheery hand-dyed yellow petals and green over-dyed plaids and tweeds from recycled clothing created during 18" of snow! Made for a tiny vase, or to pin on a lapel! Enjoy!"

Previously, I purchased one of her sunflowers for those sunny days ahead. They sell for $12.95. The product card on the sunflower reads: "Based on 18th century rug hooking techniques, the flower center is hooked from strips, the petals are "prodded" through the linen backing. Recycled felted wool, often hand-dyed is used throughout. Accent a hat, a handbag or clothing with a one-of-a-kind item designed by Nan."

Here are a few of her other gorgeous creations! Want one for yourself or to give as a gift? Call me at the Museum Shop 724.837.1500 x41 and I will ring it up and ship it out to you at a very reasonable rate! Prices range from $10 - $20 for the flowers and around $8 shipping. Hello Spring!






Nan's one-of-a-kind fancy flowers appear spontaneously as she handles her hand-dyed, recycled, felted wool. Scissors flash into simple shapes and historical flower and corsage making techniques re-appear. Methods are shared in her booklet, RUG HOOKERS GUIDE TO FANCY FLOWERS AND LEAVES. Check Nan and her flowers out at fancywoolflowers.blogspot.com or click on the link at the top of this blog. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment