Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

CUTTING THE QUILT BLOCKS (or how I became a rotary cutter fan!)


Believe it or not, I have hand cut every single quilt I have ever made. After well over 100 of them, I am starting to feel the effect of all that work in my thumbs so I knew that I had to make the leap to rotary cutting. Now that I have tried it, I am wonder why I waited sooooo long! Thank you, Pam for the gift of the cutting board, the ruler and the cutter! Once I got the hang of it, I zipped through the 1800+ cut pieces in an afternoon (and took a trip to the fabric store with my friend Phyllis to pick up rotary cutting supplies). The center of the quilt will have 225 – 4-inch squares with 8 pieces in each square! That’s a lot of hand cutting. Becky, when you next quilt with me, you will never have to hand cut again like you did on the Halloween quilt. Hallelujah! I am a convert! Here is a picture of me, the happy rotary cutter and a picture of all the different fabrics cut and ready to sort and pin.


Please note, this is just the center of the quilt. I have not cut (or for that matter, completely planned) the rest of the quilt. It is important to tell you that I scaled back this quilt a bit from the original plan. I want the center to be 60 x 60 inches (20 x 20 – 3-inch blocks) so I had planned to do 400 –3-inch squares. Before starting to cut, however, I looked at what size those little triangles would be and decided not to go there! 15 x 15 – 4-inch blocks achieved the same 60 x 60 inch center. This decision is also based on sheer quantity and self- knowledge. 225 blocks is doable – 400 blocks? I am not sure.

Oh, did I mention I plan to finish this quilt in time for the Westmoreland County Fair in August?

No comments:

Post a Comment