Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone
with the love of my life, George

What am I doing writing a blog?

Quilting is one of the few places in my life where all the corners meet and stay put. On this blog I plan to ruminate about quilting and life, the quilted life, cat and quilts, and any old thing that falls in and out of my brain. I'd be pleased to hear from you on all of this or any topic of interest!

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

A disturbing discovery that helps me date a quilt

Spring has come so as I am wont to do, I change all the rugs and bed linens in our old, old house to reflect the season. I placed a very old wedding ring quilt on our bed this weekend and have been enjoying its presence. However, last night when my sweetie was changing his clothes, he noticed a very disturbing thing about the quilt. Here is a picture of it on our bed.


Moving in closer, here is a close up of the ring itself. I had always thought it was a 1930's flour sack quilt and now I have proof (I think)positive.

Moving in tight for a picture of the blue fabric, what do we see? A swastika! And here is the really weird part, it is next to a snowman face! Now, I know the swastika was an American Indian symbol long before the Nazi's got their paws on it. The quilt was probably made pre-1940's because I doubt a fabric manufacturer would have used that symbol after WWII and the Holocaust.


Kinda weird but kinda neat too! Here's another question - how long did I own the quilt before it was noticed (and I am not the one that noticed it, my husband did!)

No comments:

Post a Comment